Monday, March 3, 2014

My 3 year old...

My husband and I were starting to plan a romantic weekend away to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary this fall.  We have two free airline tickets and have been saving for a getaway.  I had decided a weekend in Boston with a stop in Martha's Vineyard  would be oh sooo romantic (Chris was only interested in Fenway Park but I'll still count it).

My brother proposed we join them in Hawaii instead.  He was getting a killer deal at the Aulani Disney resort and thought we should cancel our romantic weekend alone and take the kids with us on a family trip to Hawaii.

I imagined our sweet family of 4 running across the beaches in slow motion, our children squealing with glee as they swam in the children's pool, shaking Mickey's hands.  Cue cheesy Hallmark music.

But a 5+ hour flight with a 3 year old and a 1 year old? Um. Gulp.  I'd rather have a root canal.

Maybe my child would magically turn into a sweetheart after his third birthday? 

I've been struggling for a few weeks now, giving my brother a non-committal 'Uh, still thinking about it' reply whenever he asks until I spoke with my co-worker today whose son is three...

We were both making a cup of tea in the break room when she said, "I read this hilarious article called 'My three year old is an asshole', you've got to read it.  It's on the Huffington Post today. It's so true.  Three year olds are really...really...really hard. You should prepare yourself."

I ran to my desk, pulling up the Huffington Post website but was unable to find the article.  I typed, "my 3 year old is..."

Google finished for me...

...Mean
...A Brat
...Driving me crazy

My hallmark dreams faded into a horror film.


Helloooooooo Martha's Vinyard.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! Hilarious! I stumbled upon your blog by accident and now I'm addicted. I always look forward to your posts. You've inspired me to start blogging again. Maybe someone will "stumble" upon mine too.
http://fabulous-diva-atl.blogspot.com/

phays said...

"Oi!" ...in response to multiple remarks indicating Hallmark to be cheesy.