Friday, August 10, 2012

WHAM!!

I was sitting at a red light last night and was dialing Chris to tell him I was on my way home when...

WHAM!

A car crashed into the back of mine, nosing me into the swish of traffic crossing the intersection.  Horns blared as they swerved around my hood, not one striking me.

I sat, hands shaking, when I heard, "Hello?  Hello?  Babe?" from the speaker on my cell phone.

"I just got into a car accident!  I'll call you back" I said and clicked the 'End' button.

A guy driving a big 4 door work truck had got his boot stuck under the brake pedal and couldn't stop.  He smashed into the car behind me and that car crashed into me.

We pulled off the road, thankful everyone was alright.  I walked around my car, carefully assessing the damage.  "FUDGE!"  I yelled angrily staring at my bumper.

The truck driver said, "I'm really sorry.  It's nothing to get upset about.  It can be fixed." while pushing at the metal of my car as if it could be straightened like a piece of crumpled paper.

"Noooooooo!" I whined.  "I'm thinking of selling my car and it would have been great if you would have just totaled it.  Now I have to go through all the effort of repairing it when getting a check would have been easier.  Ugh.  I have to fix it AND disclose it was in an accident.  Do you think you could try again?  Back up that behemoth and smack the trunk but a little harder this time?"

He smiled thinking I was being sarcastic.

I wasn't.

I arrived home, back, neck and shoulders sore from the hit.  I told Chris what happened and rather than look pleased that no one was hurt and the accident wasn't my fault, he looked deflated.

"What?" I said.

"Well.  Since you always yell at me when I use the cell phone while driving because 'it's dangerous', I was kinda hoping the accident was your fault and that it was caused by your use of the cell phone.  It would have been great karmatic justice."

He is terribly lucky I was too sore to punch him.

No comments: