Friday, July 6, 2012

Just Like Dad...

The older I get, the more I become just like my father. We drive too fast, use the horn too much, listen to the same talk radio, drink the same cheap wine, and make the same inappropriate comments about the mentally unstable.

Seeing the slow progression feels traitorous to the 14 year old me who frequently screamed, 'I'll NEVER be like you!!!!' and swore the zombie apocalypse would happen before that day came.

While I'm exactly like my father in habits and ticks, I've got my own musical and fashion tastes. The 30 year age gap between my father and me assures those two differences will never change.

Sunday, as dad and I sat on the patio drinking cheap wine, enjoying the cool breeze and sunshine, he said, "I'm really liking that song on the radio"

"What song? Celine Dion?" I asked.

"No. It's a guy. Really catchy" he said and started humming.

"George Harrison?" I asked trying desperately to remember which Beetles are still alive... and singing.

"No. Oh! Now I remember. Someone I Used to Know by Gotye" he said snapping.

I spit my wine back into my glass.

That's my current favorite song because... it's catchy.

"By the way kiddo, nice shirt!" he said.

Bring on the zombie apocalypse.

3 comments:

Lizzie M. said...

Ok, you have to admit that song sounds a little sixties or seventyish. Liking the shirt however, well, that might be a problem.....

TheFitnessFreak said...

Hee hee ha ha ha....

phays said...

Unless your shirt is retro...of course... :D