Friday, May 16, 2008

Rebekah Who?

I wasn’t a big talker in high school and there was another guy in my class who didn’t talk either. Naturally I became instantly smitten.

I was absolutely positive he liked me but I convinced myself that his shyness kept him from ever asking me out. It made me feel better.

We both graduated and moved on with our lives – I went away to college, he stayed in San Diego. Every few years I heard about him through the grapevine. I assumed he still thought, ‘I wonder what happened to Rebekah. She was a nice girl.’

Give me a break. I’m a girl. We all hope someone holds a candle for us – or at least remembers we existed.

I went to the gym last night and was on my way to the treadmill when I noticed a guy watching me. Since the gym is a total meat market, I ignored him, put on my headphones, and turned the volume all the way up. He stood up and squinted to stare at me while walking closer.

I kept thinking, Come on lame guy. Stop it.

He walked up to my treadmill, stuck his hand on it, and smiled.

‘This may seem like a really weird question…’ he began

Oh geez buddy, if this is the beginning to a lame pick up line, just keep walking

‘Do you have twin brothers?’

Oh.

‘Wait…oh my goodness. Hi quiet boy from high school!’

Of course I didn’t say, ‘Quiet boy from high school’ but I’m keeping his name private… to save my dignity.

We talked for a while and he asked how John-E and Mike were doing then said,‘I don’t really think about anyone from high school anymore. But every few years I think about…’

Me! He’s going to say he thinks about me. Aww. How sweet!

‘… your brothers. They were such cool guys.’

Gee thanks. How flattering.

‘Wait, here.’ He pulls out a paper and writes his number on it.

Sorry dude, you’re five years too late. I got married. Didn’t you hear through the grapevine? It’s totally OK to be sad about it.

‘Could you give my number to John and Mike? I’d love to get in touch with them’ and smiled.

This guy has no clue that I’m pretty much married for the long haul so hanging out with my brothers until I’m single again just isn’t going to work.

I take his number and he starts to walk away but turns around and says, ‘I’m so sorry but… what’s your name again?’

So much for a candle.

I just checked 'Vanity' off my list of vices.

It's no longer a problem.

No comments: